Wednesday 7 September 2011

Remembering

A lot of people have passed away and left us too early while some get to live a full and longer life.  Either way we are always saddened when we loose them and always wish they'd stayed a little longer...

We remember them all the time...in the morning when we wake and in the evening.
We remember them when we look up at the stars or stare at a sunset, when we hear a song, or on a special day.  We remember them when we smell or taste something familiar and delicious. 

This week I have remembered a special person, she is my gran.  She's rememberd for always being a friend to the youth and for her faith and her love for God.



Dec 2007 - Anerley


Vó Escorcio passed away at the age of 90 this past weekend.  There are certain things that have reminded me of her.  Someone that I grew up calling  or vóvó Escorcio, she was my 'adopted' grandmother.  We were in the same church and choir since I was a teen, we sang the same voice!  We both loved 'Turn your eyes upon Jesus' sang by her son of course no one else...it was one of our favorites. 

She had lunch with us many many Sabbaths.  And while remembering her this week I have found some gifts in my house that she gave me and they have made me smile.  Simple things that she made or crocheted.  
I'm going to share one of those 'gifts' with you - a recipe.  She made this often when she came over for lunch.  gave me the recipe twice over the phone and every time I made it, it came out wobbly, always a mess!  I teased her that she gave me the wrong quantities so that I would never get it right.
  
One year for my birthday and another lunch together she made the tart and wrote it out for me.  She calls it the 'impossible tart' because of the difficulty I always had in getting it right.  But the recipe name is 'coconut tart'.  Try it out it's absolutley delicious.


4 eggs, 2 table spoons of margarine, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of self raising flour,
3/4 cup of coconut, 500ml of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
Whisk everything together and pour in tart dish.
Bake at 170 for + - 45 minutes.  Bom Apetite!


Dec 2008
 , so many people miss her already, she will never be forgotten, I know she is resting in the Lord waiting for him to wake her some day.  R.I.P. dear vó.

"I can lie down and sleep soundly becuase you, LORD, will keep me safe."  Psalm 4:8




1 comment:

  1. Paula, surely our lives have been enriched and blessed by Vo Escorcio. I was always afraid to ask about her, coz loosing her would be too sad - and it is!! Even from the distance of many countries and several years, I can still remember her smile, the way she carried herself, her sound reasoning and strength. To me, she's a flame in my heart that won't grow dim!! Thanks for posting these lovely photos and the recipe with her own handwriting! I'll try and make the tarte - and I'll let you know if it has been truly impossible...
    So I end this with a smile! She deserves nothing else!!!

    ReplyDelete