Thursday 31 May 2012

History of 31 May


On 31 May 1902 was the end of The Boer War.
It was on this day in 1910 that South Africa became a Union. Because of the war the country was quite separated and Cape of Good Hope, Natal, Transvaal and Orange Free State were not always united .... so on 31 May 1910 Cape of Good Hope become part of the Union of South Africa.
On this day in 1928 a new look South African flag was flown for the first time.
On 31 May 1961 South Africa went from being a ‘Union’ to a ‘Republic’ and we left the Commonwealth! Yeah!
And every year after that there would be big parties out on the street, people would celebrate the anniversary of the Republic of South Africa in street parties, with marching bands etc. braais were a big part of the celebration too.

Famous person born on 31 May...there are lots but the only one I like is Clint Eastwood.
31 May was a public holiday until 1994 and now it’s just a normal day...and my birthday. Sometimes it comes with a bit of sadness as it was on this day that my father in law passed away (I never got to meet him) and my brother in laws’ father also passed away on this day ...

But let’s not ponder on the sadness for too long or the history … And just say Happy Birthday to me

ME - Two months old
I was such a cute baby ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment