Monday 6 February 2012

Drifting away from ma....



Thank you Mr A for reminding me of this poem and making me cry. 
I found it and I remember we did this at school when we were kids, it means a lot more to me today than back then....it took a few years but I finally understand it! 


Walking Away was published in 1962. C Day-Lewis dedicated this poem to his first son and recalls a day when he was watching him go in to school. 


- Walking Away - 
It is eighteen years ago, almost to the day –
A sunny day with leaves just turning,
The touch-lines new-ruled – since I watched you play
Your first game of football, then, like a satellite
Wrenched from its orbit, go drifting away

Behind a scatter of boys. I can see
You walking away from me towards the school
With the pathos of a half-fledged thing set free
Into a wilderness, the gait of one
Who finds no path where the path should be.

That hesitant figure, eddying away
Like a winged seed loosened from its parent stem,
Has something I never quite grasp to convey
About nature’s give-and-take – the small, the scorching
Ordeals which fire one’s irresolute clay.

I have had worse partings, but none that so
Gnaws at my mind still.  Perhaps it is roughly
Saying what God alone could perfectly show –
How selfhood begins with a walking away,
And love is proved in the letting go.


Jameson Memorial Hall
Your lack of experience scares me my child but ... love is proved in the letting go.
I love you.

3 comments:

  1. This really pulls at the heart strings... with each parting it seems they grow further and further away from you and all we can do is watch silently by and pray that they will be ok...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the joys of being a mom, hey Laura, it never stops :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauls, the photos say it all. *gulp* He's going to make you so proud. Leave it in God's hands now and wait and see... (hug). I don't tell you often enough how special you are.

    ReplyDelete