Monday 26 March 2012

Crazy Craving

I call it a crazy craving, there is no other explanation for the last two days. At the beginning of 2012 I said that this year would be the year for me to go on a 'raw vegan diet'. I have done some research and reading and I found someone that does training / teaching on being raw. I attended two sessions on raw cooking. Very interesting!


Raw Vegans - start the day with green juices, eat loads of sprouts and all the vegetables are raw. Some of their food is dehydrated but mostly raw. The lady that does the training is 90% raw. It's about eating live foods, super foods and nothing else.


I learned a lot, really it was very interesting and it was good to see how some people live and eat. Being vegetarian does not mean you are doing everything the right way and that you have the answer on being healthy. You can be vegetarian and still be quite un healthy, which is sad. I don't think I am that bad, but I certainly need to do a lot more to live a healthier lifestyle. Slowly, slowly, one day at a time.


These raw people are a bit strange, healthy but strange, as much I enjoyed the workshops and the tasting and both lunches, your jaw gets tired of all the chewing, tasting the sweet raw vegan treats was the best part! But both days I arrived home with a headache, all that tasting and shots of green juice, all the chewing was too much for me it seems. Maybe it was all the new strong flavors, spices are stronger on raw food. Lunch was rather late past 14h30 .... and I arrived home to ruin the day with some medication for my migraine. The days in-between were spent reading about becoming raw and looking at green juice recipes, that alone is enough for another headache. I also avoided eating pasta, rice, bread and potatoes during that time. Bread did not work, I ate it! Oh yes and the small craving for a piece of chocolate or whole slab was avoided.


Guess what was the outcome?


Crazy Craving. After being vegetarian for almost five years I had this incredibly mad urge to eat what I think is one of the most unhealthy of all things. Cold meats. You know the alternative for those that don't eat pork or ham, I had this unexplained need for slices of shaved chicken. Was standing at woolies and found my hands shaking like a recovering alcoholic staring at the package on the shelve. It was terrible to have to shake that feeling away.


So I have decided that this raw thing will be just an alternative for once in a while, maybe one day a week. It's not for me I can't do it and my family will not eat any of that food for sure. That lifestyle is not for me, it's not just about the cold meat crazy craving it's everything....


I need to stay away from those raw people for a while. Go back to being a normal vegetarian, not that I ever left it, but my mind was so busy thinking about it that it felt like I had left it. I will take it one day at a time. Slowly, slowly improving .... and I will avoid the fridge section at woolies for now.


Tonight I'm rewarding myself with a small piece of my favorite chocolate, I am not vegan and certainly not raw, no guilty feelings :)

2 comments:

  1. That's sooo funny - u felt like eating chicken. PS I must say I still recommend going on a vegetarian indian cooking course. You won't go wrong.

    Also, do you know there is a full-on vegetarian indian resturant in Mayfair. They even have pizzas and pastas. And the food it great. It's called Shayona and it is on Church street. They don't use onions and Garlic in their food either. And it is still very delicious. Preetika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Preetika - Zak is taking us to Dawat today :D

      Delete